Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

Well, Turkey Day is finally here.. My cousin Mary Joan is here from Pittsburgh, and Daddy, of course and our friends Tommy & Kendall will be arriving around 5pm. Now that you have the guest list.... lets get to the menu. Mary Joan requested a more "traditional" menu.. (I usually go for non-traditional).. so,

Turkey
(I cut the back bone out of this 18lb bird, then broke the breastbone, not an easy feat, and then splayed it on its belly so it was flattened. rub the entire bird inside and out with lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, salt & pepper and fresh thyme. Wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and put in fridge to marinate. Will put on grill for 15 min per side then into the oven for 90 min to finish)
Oyster Mushroom Gravy
(made from the stock of the turkey, oyster mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery, salt & pepper)
Mashed Potaotes
(typical except, I use celery root, yellow finnish potatoes, cream cheese, 1/2, salt & pepper)
Mom's Candied Sweet Potatoes
(in a deep skillet, stick of butter and 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar stirring all the time till bubbling. par boil the sweet potatoes then dry with towel and place gently in butter and sugar, cook till very soft and sticky. DO NOT COVER WHILE COOKING)
Broccoli with Butter
Daddy loves his broccoli steamed with butter and salt and that is all... so that is what we will have)
Crystal's Pumpkin Bread
( many years ago, I worked with a gal named Crystal.. she was great. and one year she made this amazing pumpkin bread and luckily gave me the recipe.. I think I have made it every year since we met and that was .... long ago!)
Stuffing
(it will be plain and simple... sauteed onion, celery and fennel)
1000 pecan pie
(ok so i don't know that it is 1000 pecans.. but you get the idea.. take any pecan pie recipe and add extra pecans, roast them on a cookie sheet first if you have the time and then WOW, yummy)

I will try to post some photos later.. so you can see what I created.. Hope you all have a wonderful day, full of love, family & friends! Tracey

Remember write to me for recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment